FAQ (Students)

Engaged Learning and Community Involvement
        Engaged Learning
                FAQ (Students)
                FAQ (Faculty/Staff)
                SET Categories
                Advisory Board
                Undergraduate Graduation                           Requirement Policy
                SET Waiver/Substitution Policy                   and Procedure
                Conference 2015
        Community Involvement
        Contact Us


FAQ (Faculty/Staff)

What is the SET graduation requirement?
Undergraduate students must complete any 2 of the first 6 categories.  The 7th category (Special Recognition) does not count toward the requirement.  Students who complete all 7 categories earn the Renaissance Award and are recognized at graduation.

A SET activity was submitted for my approval; what do I do?
When a student submits a SET activity for your approval, you will receive an automated email with a direct link to approve or deny the submission.  You can also access this page by logging in to Sentry Secured Services and clicking "SET Processing" under the Faculty heading.  On this page, you can review all activities submitted to you.  If a student successfully completed the submitted activity to your satisfaction, you can approve the submission.  If the student has not completed the activity, you can decline the submission or let it wait in your queue until the student has completed the activity.

How can I submit an activity for a group of students?
See instructions

What is the Arts Appreciation Portfolio?
A completed Arts Appreciation Portfolio satisfies the Arts, Culture, and Creativity SET category.  It entails attending 5 cultural events - including but not limited to theatrical performances, lectures, art galleries, and museums - and writing a 1-page response to each (see rubric for guidance).  When submitting an activity for the Arts Appreciation Portfolio to you, a student should first provide you with his or her paper and then submit the activity for your approval through Sentry.  If you have any questions about the eligibility of an event or the content of the paper, please contact us.

**Any RMU faculty member - regardless of discipline - can review reflections for the Arts Appreciation Portfolio.**

What is considered "Undergraduate Research" for the SET?
Each department defines Undergraduate Research, as it varies widely across disciplines; please check with your department head.  Students typically complete the Undergraduate Research SET category through theses, capstones, and conference presentations.

Can students earn SET credit through a course I am teaching?
Perhaps; please contact us with more information.  Depending on the course and related assignments, students may be able to work toward or satisfy the Undergraduate Research, Professional Experience, or Service category.

I am hosting an event; how can I add it to your calendar of SET activities?
Please contact us with more information, including the event time, date, location, and a brief description.  If the event is relevant to the SET, we will add it to our calendar.  If your event is added to our calendar, please be sure to update our office immediately if there are any changes.